One of my favorite food holidays is just a few days away… Cinco de Mayo. While it might not be a popular holiday where you live, I grew up in Texas, so Cinco de May is a HUGE deal 🙂 In preparation for the big foodie day, I’ve put together a list of my favorite recipes that are perfect for you to make this Cinco de Mayo.
So what exactly is the significance of Cinco de Mayo? On May 5, 1862 the Mexican Army defeated the French Army during the Battle of Puebla. Some people get this day confused and think May 5th is Mexico Independence Day, but it’s not. So why is it so popular in the U.S? I’m not certain, but growing up in Texas, Cinco de Mayo is a day dedicated to celebrate Mexican American culture and food. My family on my mom’s side is Hispanic, so Mexican food is literally in my blood.
Cinco de Mayo is not only a great holiday to celebrate the unique and beautiful Mexican American culture, it’s also reason to eat delicious Mexican food, drink Margaritas, and dance in the street. In Austin, Texas every year the city blocks off part of downtown to hold a huge fiesta. Tacos and margaritas are served along with mariachi bands playing. In Texas, Cinco de Mayo is as big of a deal as St. Patty’s Day is in other parts of the country.
Typically on Cinco de Mayo, I like to celebrate at home and make my own Mexican feast! My husband and I live in Indianapolis, I guarantee we will be celebrating at home with homemade tacos, queso, and margaritas! What I love about Mexican food is that any dish can easily be Weight Watchers friendly. No need to worry about splurging, I’ve got the perfect list of Weight Watchers friendly recipes.
Here is a list of my favorite Bites of Flavor Mexican Inspired recipes perfect for Cinco de Mayo:
- Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Crema– Marinated lean steak grilled to perfection served in a corn tortilla and topped with fresh Pico de Gallo, Avocado Crema, and Queso fresco! 9 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for two tacos. Click here for the recipe!
- Chicken Suiza Enchiladas– Perfectly cooked shredded chicken and cheese wrapped in a corn tortilla topped with delicious suiza sauce and more cheese! 9 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for two enchiladas. Click here for the recipe!
- Skillet Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema– Delicious and light grilled fish wrapped in a corn tortilla and topped with fresh Pico de Gallo and Avocado Crema. Ready in under 20 minutes! 10 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for two tacos. Click here for the recipe!
- Roasted Tomatillo Vegetable Enchiladas– Roasted vegetables stuffed inside corn tortillas, coasted in fresh made Roasted Tomatillo Salsa and topped with cheese is heaven in each bite! 8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for two enchiladas. Click here for the recipe!
- Slow Cooker Mexican Spiced Pulled Pork– Delicious slow cooked pork perfect for tacos, enchiladas, pizza, nachos, stuffed peppers, and more! Make this and eat all week long, or freeze for a ready to eat dinner at any time! 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for 1/2 cup. Click here for the recipe!
- Quick & Easy Tomato Chipotle Salsa– Fresh tomatoes, cilantro, onion, and peppers mixed in a blender for a quick and easy homemade salsa. I make this weekly and eat on top of tacos and enchiladas! 1 Weight Watchers SmartPoint for 1/2 cup. Click here for the recipe!
- Mexican Zucchini Stir Fry– Zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, corn, black beans, and spices cooked together are the perfect side dish or serve in corn tortillas for veggie tacos. Made in less than 30 minutes! 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for 1/2 cup. Click here for the recipe!
- Black Bean Nacho Cups– These are the perfect party appetizer packed with delicious nacho flavors. Wonton wrapper nacho cups stuffed with black beans, corn, cheese, topped with fresh Pico de Gallo and Avocado Crema. 1 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for 1 nacho cup. Click here for the recipe!
Pick your favorite recipe, make it, and share with me your Cinco de Mayo fiesta on Facebook and Instagram! Upload a photo and add the hashtag #bitesofflavor
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!