I am a huge casserole fan. No two casseroles are the same… A random mix of ingredients, usually with the addition of cheese, baked and able to feed a crowd, or a household of two, for days. My latest casserole creation is a favorite in my house hold. My Cajun Turkey Potato Casserole is a delicious blend of roasted potatoes, Cajun spices, and cheese sauce. Roasted turkey breast and baby potatoes mixed with Cajun spices, vegetables, and cheese baked until bubbly. This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe and each serving is 5 SmartPoints.
I love to brainstorm for new recipes and casseroles are one of my favorite dishes to experiment on. Casseroles are a beautiful thing… a mixture of different vegetables, protein, spices, and typically cheese. What’s not to love?! With a casserole, you can mix ingredients together that you wouldn’t typically think go together, but totally work. Plus, casseroles are great to make during a busy week so you can have leftovers!
One of my favorite casseroles growing up was my mom’s chicken casserole. Layers of shredded chicken, hash browns, cream of mushroom, and cheese baked to bubbly perfection. I have yet to try and make a Weight Watcher friendly version of this beloved casserole, but I plan to try soon. A while back, I was thinking fondly of this casserole and decided I needed to make a casserole with potatoes. Potatoes are probably my favorite vegetable, and the perfect ingredient in any casserole. After a few experiments, my Cajun Turkey Potato Casserole was born.
Lately, I’ve been cooking a lot with turkey breast tenderloin. Have you ever tried cooking with turkey breast as opposed to chicken breast? I love chicken, but sometimes want something a bit different, and turkey breast is the perfect option. It looks just like chicken breast and is a great swap for any recipe that called for chicken.
This casserole has several steps so it’s all about the preparation. To start, roast the turkey breast in the oven at 350 for 55 minutes, the first 30 minutes covered with foil.
While the turkey breast is roasting, prepare the potatoes. For this recipe I use baby Yukon gold potatoes. Dice the potatoes into ½ inch cubes and add to a large bowl. To the bowl, add olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well then add potatoes to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes.
While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the other ingredients. Once the turkey breast is cool enough to handle, dice into ½ inch cubes. Dice jalapeno, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and celery, also known as the “holy trinity” in Cajun cooking.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil. Sauté onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add butter and let melt. Slowly add flour to the veggies and whisk, cooking for a few minutes. Slowly add milk and whisk continuously until mixed. This is the roux base for the cheese sauce!
Reduce heat to low and add ½ cup of shredded cheese. Mix until the cheese has melted, then add another ½ cup cheese and let melt. Add another ½ cup cheese plus ½ cup water and mix until cheese has melted. Continue to cook on low until all cheese has melted and sauce has thickened.
To the skillet, add the roasted potatoes and diced turkey breast. Mix until well combined. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and add turkey mixture to the dish. Spread to an even layer. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and smoked paprika. Bake for 20 minutes.
A delicious blend of roasted potatoes, Cajun spices, and cheese sauce. Roasted turkey breast and baby potatoes mixed with Cajun spices, vegetables, and cheese. Creamy, packed with flavor, and even better as leftovers! Have left over turkey from Thanksgiving? Use it in this recipe! Be sure to save this recipe for later when you need to get rid of that turkey!!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Cajun Turkey Potato Casserole
- 30 Ounces Turkey Breast Tenderloin
- 1 Pound Yukon Baby Gold Potatoes
- 2 Teaspoon Olive Oil, Divided
- 2 Teaspoons Salt, Divided
- 2 Teaspoons Pepper, Divided
- ¼ Large White Onion
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno, Seeds Removed
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Slap Yo Mama or Other Cajun Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Light Butter
- 2 Tablespoons White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup 2% Milk
- 1 ½ Cups Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Bread Crumbs
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Green Onions, For garnish
To Roast Turkey Breast:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove turkey breast from package and place in casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest.
To Roast Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Dice potatoes into ½ inch cubes and add to a large bowl.
- In the large bowl, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- Spread potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 30 minutes. Remove potatoes from oven and keep oven on at 400°.
To Make Casserole:
- Dice jalapeno, onion, red bell pepper, and celery. Set aside.
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Once turkey has been roasted and cooled enough to handle, dice and set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Sauté onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter.
- Slowly add flour, whisking continuously.
- Slowly add milk and whisk continuously until there are no chunks.
- Reduce heat to low and add ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Let cheese melt then add another ½ cup cheese plus ½ cup of water.
- Let cheese melt then add remainder cheese and the remainder of water stirring constantly until cheese is melted and sauce begins to form.
- To the skillet, add potatoes and diced turkey. Mix well until combined.
- Spread mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs and paprika.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced green onion.
Nutrition is based on the Weight Watchers Freestyle Program guidelines. Nutrition calculated using Weight Watchers calculator. NUTRITION: Serves 8- (5 SmartPoints Per Serving) CALORIES: 152 FAT: 8.3 SATURATED FAT: 4.4 CARBS: 12.8 FIBER: 1.4 SUGARS: 2.5 PROTEIN: 7.7
Looking for more Cajun Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!