Baked Feta Greek Fries are the perfect lighter version of cheese fries. Crispy baked fries topped with tangy feta cheese. Delicious & Weight Watcher friendly- 4 SmartPoints!
Cheese and potatoes… there is really no better combination. These are two of my favorite foods and when combined, make pure magic. What I love about both of these foods is that there are so many different variations of dishes to make with cheese and potatoes. Mashed potatoes (with cheese on top of course), baked potato topped with cheese, scallops potatoes, and cheese fries. My Baked Feta Greek Fries are the perfect lighter version of cheese fries. Crispy baked fries topped with tangy feta cheese. Delicious, easy to make, and the perfect side dish for any meal. This is a Weight Watcher friendly recipe and each serving is 4 SmartPoints.
About a month ago, I posted a recipe for Healthy Chicken Gyros and shared my love for Greek food. After my husband and I moved to Indianapolis (about four months ago), one of our first meals in Indy was at a local Greek restaurant. This place is so good that my husband and I have agreed we can only allow ourselves to go there every other month or so otherwise we will need to buy new clothes (if you know what I mean).
I love all things Greek food: Gyros, hummus, kebabs, tzatziki sauce, saganaki (FRIED CHEESE), and spanakopita just to name a few. When my husband and I go to this Greek restaurant, we usually order Gyros with garlic feta French fries. The first time we had the garlic feta fries we devoured them. Crispy fries topped with garlic and feta cheese. So delicious that I honestly cannot find the right words to describe!
One of my favorite types of cheese is feta cheese. It’s tangy and is perfect on just about anything. Before the fries I had at the local Greek restaurant, I wouldn’t have thought twice about adding feta to fries, but it seriously works so perfect with French fries. These fries are baked to perfection in the oven, coated in delicious garlic, and seasoned just right. Addictive and guaranteed to leave you wanting more! This is a Weight Watcher friendly side dish so it’s totally acceptable to eat more than one serving ;)!
These Baked Feta Greek Fries are easy to make and even easier to eat! The key making crisp fries in the oven is to soak the cut potatoes in a bowl of water BEFORE baking. This ensures that all the starch from the potatoes is removed and helps the potatoes crisp up better. After the cut potatoes have soaked in water for 30 minutes, pat potatoes until they are dry. This helps to remove any leftover starch.
To a large bowl, mix the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and minced garlic. Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook in 15 minutes increments until the fries have reached your desired crispiness, about 45 minutes. Remove the fries from the oven, sprinkle the top with feta cheese, then put back into the oven for about 5 more minutes to let the cheese melt. YUMMMM!!!
The perfect lighter version of cheese fries. Crispy baked fries topped with tangy feta cheese. Delicious, easy to make, and the perfect side dish for any meal! To really top off these fries, I like to serve my Homemade Tzatziki Sauce as a dip :)! These fries would be the perfect Weight Watcher side dish option with my Greek Turkey Burger, Steak Gyro Wrap, or Healthy Chicken Gyro.
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Baked Feta Greek Fries
- 3 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
- Fresh Parsley, Chopped, For Garnish Optional
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Peel potatoes and cut potato into 1/4 inch strips.
- In a large bowl, add potato strips and fill bowl with water.
- Let soak for 30 minutes. This helps to remove some of the starch from the potatoes so they can get crispy in the oven.
- While potatoes are soaking, mince garlic and set aside.
- After potatoes have soaked, scoop out the potatoes from the bowl and pat dry.
- To a large bowl, add potatoes, oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Toss to mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread potatoes on parchment paper making an even layer.
- Bake potatoes in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and flip potatoes.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, remove from oven, and flip potatoes.
- Bake potatoes in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and flip potatoes. If potatoes are not crispy, continue baking in 15 minutes increments until desired crispiness.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle fries with feta cheese and put bake into the oven to bake for 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt.
Looking for more Greek Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!