Buffalo Chickpea Burger are packed with buffalo taste you love. Guaranteed to impress any burger lover! Weight Watchers friendly recipe- 8 SmartPoints!
Veggie burgers are one of my favorite type of burgers to eat. When I go to a burger restaurant, I usually will get the veggie burger. I honestly think they have way more flavor and seem to be more healthy than a regular burger. Probably because veggie burgers are typically made with beans and have tons of spice. YUM! I’ve made my own black bean burgers quite a few times (and they are great!) but lately I’ve wanted to try a different type of “bean” burger. I decided to give chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) a try, and y’all, this bean is perfect for burgers! My Buffalo Chickpea Burger is dynamite! Packed with flavor, low-fat, juicy, and will leave you NOT missing the meat! This is a Weight Watcher friendly recipe and each burger (with the bun) is 8 SmartPoints.
For this recipe, I wanted to do a buffalo style burger so I add buffalo hot sauce to the burger patty mix. The burger is a mixture of sautéed onion and carrot, quinoa, breadcrumbs, chickpeas, egg, and buffalo sauce. Once the quinoa is cooked and the onion and carrot are sautéed, add them plus all the other ingredients to a food processor (or blender). Mix until all ingredients are blended well.
Now it’s time to get your hands dirty! This recipes makes about 6 burgers, so once all the ingredients are mixed, put the mixture into a bowl. Using your hands, form 6 equal size balls. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place each burger ball onto the plan and carefully press down on each to create a patty. Be sure to try and form these into what looks like a burger patty! I used a coffee mug to help me shape the patties. I’m a perfectionist so I wanted to get a perfectly round burger.
Now here’s the most important step, refrigerate the patties for at least 1 hour. This is key so that the patties can form and all the ingredients can stick together when they are cooking! You could make the patties a head of time and just freeze the patties (instead of refrigerate them). When you want to eat them, just pop them out of the freezer and they are ready. I’ve actually done that before and it worked perfect!
After the patties have set, it’s time to get to cooking! For these burgers, I recommend using a flat surface like a griddle pan to cook them rather than a grill. They are a little more fragile than regular burgers so a flat surface ensures the patty will stay together. Using a griddle, or a regular skillet, spray with cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat. Cook each side of the burger for about 5-7 minutes. It’s time to flip the burger when it doesn’t stick to the pan!
I like to serve my burgers with feta cheese (use blue cheese if you like!), lettuce, roma tomato, avocado slice, and topped with a homemade buffalo sauce. This sauce is 2 tablespoons of fat free Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon reduced fat mayo, and ½ tablespoon buffalo sauce. Sauce is not calculated in the SmartPoints total.
These veggie burgers are full of all the bold buffalo taste you love. A delicious blend of chickpeas, buffalo sauce, quinoa, and veggies make this vegetarian burger a must for any burger night at home. Healthy and freezer friendly! Weight Watchers friendly and 8 SmartPoints per burger!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Buffalo Chickpea Burger
- ½ Small Red Onion
- ½ Carrot
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- ¾ Cup Water
- ⅓ Cup Uncooked Quinoa
- ½ Cup Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ Cup Canned Chickpeas, Rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons Buffalo Hot Sauce
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 6 Whole Wheat Sandwich Buns
- Finely chop red onion, and carrot, then set aside.
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Heat medium skillet over medium heat and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Add chopped onion and carrot and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic to skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Set skillet aside for later.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Once quinoa is cooled, combined quinoa, sautéed veggies, breadcrumbs, chickpeas, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and egg in food processor.
- Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Put burger mixture into a large bowl. Form 6 equal size balls.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the burger balls onto the sheet.
- Gently press down on each and form a burger patty.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Spray a griddle or skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Cook patties on skillet for 5-7 minutes on each side.
Nutrition is based on the Weight Watchers Freestyle Program guidelines. Nutrition calculated using Weight Watchers calculator. NUTRITION: Serves 4, 1 Burger Per Serving- (8 SmartPoints Per Serving) CALORIES: 277 FAT: 4.1 SATURATED FAT: 0.3 CARBS: 47.4 FIBER: 6.6 SUGARS: 3.8 PROTEIN: 11.9
Looking for more Vegetarian Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!