Chicken Sausage Alfredo Pasta is delicious chicken sausage with baby spinach & mushrooms in a decadent & light Alfredo sauce. Ready in under 1 hour and a kid friendly recipe!
What’s your go-to comfort food? It varies from person to person, and for me, my choice of comfort food depends on the day. Some days my comfort food is tacos, other days it could be a big salad. Sometimes I have cravings for pasta and there’s nothing more comforting than a big bowl of cheesy pasta. My Chicken Sausage Alfredo Pasta is the perfect bowl of comfort food to cure your cheese and pasta craving. Delicious lean chicken sausage mixed with fresh spinach and mushrooms coated in a decadent yet healthy alfredo sauce. Dinner ready in just under 1 hour that the whole family will love!
My kids love pasta. I mean, I’m sure most kids do. I’m always trying to think of new and unique ways to serve pasta that’s for both the grown ups, and the two toddlers in my house. This Skillet Chicken Sausage Alfredo Pasta is just the cure for this need. Rigatoni noodles coated in a delicious homemade alfredo sauce mixed with baby spinach and sautéed mushrooms… Sounds delicious, right?!
To make the alfredo sauce, heat a skillet over medium low heat for a few minutes then add butter. Let the butter melt and add minced garlic. Slowly add in the flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking continuously. Once the flour has cooked, slowly add milk and broth, whisking continuously. One trick to getting the perfect roux (with no clumps), is to microwave the milk and broth before adding to the hot skillet of butter. Season the sauce with pepper, reduce heat to simmer, and let cook for about 3 minutes to thicken the sauce. Last, add the parmesan cheese and cook for another couple minutes until thick.
For this recipe, I use rigatoni pasta, but you could also use rotini pasta or even shells! Just cook the pasta according to the package instructions. While the pasta is cooking, cook the chicken sausage according to the package instructions. You can use any chicken sausage you like! Remove the sausage from the skillet and set aside to cool. To the same skillet, add a little bit of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add mushrooms and let cook for another 10 minutes. Then add baby spinach cook until the spinach has wilted. Lastly, add pasta, alfredo sauce and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Chicken Sausage Alfredo Pasta is the perfect bowl of comfort food to cure your cheese and pasta craving. Delicious lean chicken sausage mixed with fresh spinach and mushrooms coated in a decadent yet healthy alfredo sauce. Dinner ready in just under 1 hour that the whole family will love!
And here’s how I serve this meal to my kids, because seeing a picture of a kids plate of food is just the cutest!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Chicken Sausage Alfredo Pasta
- 16 Ounces Rigatoni Pasta, (Or any other pasta you wish to choose)
- 12 Ounces Chicken Sausage, (Any variety/flavor you wish to choose)
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 16 Ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, Chopped
- 3 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, (Optional)
Alfredo Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tablespoons Light Butter
- 1 Cup Skim or Low Fat Milk
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoons Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Cook pasta according to package.
- Cook chicken sausage according to package. Set aside to cool, then slice into small bites.
- Make alfredo sauce according to directions below. When alfredo sauce is done, set aside.
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Slice mushrooms and set aside.
- Chop spinach and set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add baby spinach and cook until spinach has wilted.
- Add pasta and alfredo sauce mix well.
- Turn off heat and garnish with grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes (if using).
Alfredo Sauce Directions:
- Add milk and broth to a microwave safe measuring bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium low heat and add butter. Let butter melt slightly then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add flour and cook for 1 minutes, whisk continuously.
- Slowly add milk and broth, whisking continuously to thicken up the sauce.
- Season with pepper.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Add parmesan cheese and cook for a few minutes minutes, until thickened.
Looking for more Dinner Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cup
- Large Sauté Pan with Lid
- Silicone Whisk & Serving Spoon (non-scratching!)
Pin this recipe for later!