Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Crema is marinated steak grilled & served in a tortilla & topped with Pico de Gallo & Avocado Crema. Weight Watchers friendly- 9 SmartPoints!
Can we all agree that tacos were meant to be eaten any day of the week and not just Tuesday 🙂 ??! Tacos are a beautiful thing and should be celebrated. In fact, there is a National Taco Day which happens to be October 4th. They even have food festivals dedicated to tacos! My Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Crema are must to add to your homemade taco rotation. Marinated lean steak grilled to perfection served in a corn tortilla and topped with fresh Pico de Gallo, Avocado Crema, and Queso fresco! This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe and 2 tacos are 9 SmartPoints.
I just love tacos! There are so many ways to make tacos and the possibilities are endless! Making tacos at home has become a weekly ritual for me. Sometimes I like to shake things up and make really unique tacos. A while back I posted a few unique tacos: Baked Falafel Tacos and Sweet & Spicy Asian Shrimp Tacos. Those tacos were not your basic tacos, which is why tacos are so fun to make and eat! When I’m not testing my limits in taco making, I crave the basics and just want a good ole’ meat filled taco.
I don’t make steak too often at home. Not because I don’t like steak, but because I rarely crave a big fat piece of steak by itself (sorry to my husband because that’s all he wants)! The times I really want some steak, tacos (or nachos!) are my preferred way to eat steak. I like steak tacos because you get the big delicious pieces of steak plus other ingredients, like cheese and pico de gallo. Now that’s my kind of steak y’all!
Grilling a steak at home without a grill is easier than you think. I know, I don’t have an outdoor grill BUT it’s on the list of things to get once the weather here in Indianapolis is bare-able enough to be outside without a jacket on. I bought a cast iron griddle/grill a while back and love it! This thing is perfect for grilling burgers, steak, veggies, and pretty much anything you want to grill inside. It’s easy to use and cooks food evenly every time I use it!
The key to making good steak tacos is the marinade, which is the “Asada” in Carne Asada. This sauce is seriously delicious and marinating the steak before grilling really makes for an amazing bite of flavor in the tacos. To make the marinade, to a food processor (or blender), add seeded dried Guajillo chilies, canned chipotle peppers, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, cumin, dried coriander, and light brown sugar. Pulse until all ingredients are blended well.
Add skirt steak to a large zip lock bag along with the marinade and squish the steak around to make sure the whole thing gets coated with that delicious sauce. The steak will marinade in the refrigerator for 8 hours up to 24 hours (the longer the better!)
Remove the steak from the refrigerator and let the steak come to room temperature before grilling. Heat an indoor grill or large cast iron skillet over medium high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the steak and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes.
Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes or so. It might seem like the steak isn’t on the grill very long, but you only want to cook it until medium on the grill because the steak will continue to cook when you remove it from the grill and it rests. Slice up the steak and it’s time to eat!
These are the perfect way to enjoy steak tacos at home. Marinated lean steak grilled to perfection served in a corn tortilla and topped with fresh Pico de Gallo, Avocado Crema, and Queso fresco. No need to go to a restaurant to get steak tacos when you can make them at home!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Crema
- 1 Pound Skirt Steak
- 10 Corn Tortillas, (I use Mission Ultra-Thin Corn Tortillas)
- Cilantro, For garnish
- Queso Fresco, For garnish
- Lime Wedges, For garnish
- Pico de Gallo, For garnish
- Avocado Crema, For garnish (Recipe link in notes section)
- 2 Dried Guajillo Chilies, Stems and seeds removed
- 2 Canned Chipotle Peppers
- ½ Cup Orange Juice
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Coriander
- 2 Teaspoons Light Brown Sugar
Asada Marinade Directions:
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the seeded guajillo peppers for 15 seconds. Transfer to a food processor (or blender).
- To the food processor, add chipotle peppers, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, cumin, coriander, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- In a large zip lock bag, add steak along with marinade. Store in refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove steak from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Heat indoor grill (or cast iron skillet) over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
- Grill steak on grill for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove steak from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. (The steak should be medium as it continues to cook when it rests).
- Slice steak into strips.
- Char tortillas on gas stove on low heat for 2 minutes on each side. If you do not have a gas stove, heat tortillas in skillet over low heat for 4 minutes on each side.
- Make Avocado Crema according to directions.
- Make Pico de Gallo according to directions.
To Assemble Tacos:
- Lay corn tortilla, then add 3 strips of steak, top with Pico de Gallo, drizzle Avocado Crema, sprinkle Queso fresco and fresh cilantro, then add fresh squeezed lime.
Looking for more Mexican Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!