Believe it or not, my husband’s favorite “dessert” is either banana nut bread or snicker doodle cookies. No chocolate or ice cream for this guy. All he wants is banana nut bread, every day! There are so many different versions of banana nut bread out there, so I decided to put a spin on this classic recipe and make Cinnamon Banana Nut Bread. This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe and only 5 SmartPoints per serving!
If you can’t find ripe bananas at the store, no problem! You can actually ripen bananas by cooking them in the oven first. Place the unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I do this trick when I’m craving banana bread but do not have ripened bananas on hand. Bake in a 300° oven for 30-40 minutes until the skin is black. Let them cool for about 1 hour before peeling. Once you peel them, they are all mashed and ready to go!
This recipe is super easy to follow! To the mixing bowl, add brown sugar and butter then mix on low speed for about 4 minutes. Next add 1 egg and 1 egg white, Greek yogurt, and vanilla and blend for a few more minutes. In a separate bowl, sift together white whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl with the wet ingredients. I recommend gently adding a large spoonful at a time. Blend for 5 minutes or so then add chopped walnuts.
Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan, sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture onto the batter, pour the last half of the batter, then sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon mixture on top. Using a knife, swirl the batter to create a marble effect. Top with more walnuts!
The hardest part is waiting for it to bake because the whole house will smell like a dream!! The bread will bake for 1 hour. Once the bread is baked, let it cool for about 20 minutes on a metal baking rack, then it’s time to dig in!
Moist, comforting, yet healthy. Fluffy banana bread with a cinnamon sugar swirl is guaranteed to hit the spot! 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving!
I hope you enjoy these cinnamon bites of flavor!
Watch this 60 second video to learn how to make Cinnamon Banana Nut Bread:
Cinnamon Banana Nut Bread
Banana Bread Ingredients:
- 4 Tablespoons Light Butter (or ½ Stick Light Butter), at room temperature
- 1 Egg White, at room temperature
- 1 Egg, at room temperature
- ¼ Cup Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt, at room temperature
- 4 Medium Very Ripe Bananas
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 2/3 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Walnuts, Chopped
Cinnamon Swirl Ingredients:
- 1 Tablespoons White Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- Pull out the egg, egg white, butter, and Greek yogurt to get to room temperature before starting the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon then set aside.
- In a medium, bowl combine bananas, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Mash bananas and mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. If you don’t have a sifter, you can use a metal strainer/sieve!
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy for about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until fully combined for about 1 minute.
- Add banana mixture and beat until well combined for about 30 seconds.
- Add flour mixture slowly and beat until well combined for about 30 seconds. Add walnuts until well combined.
- Pour half the batter into the loaf pan and spread out the batter until even.
- Sprinkle half the cinnamon mix onto the batter.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and cinnamon mix.
- Draw a knife through the batter to make a marble effect.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes, covering the pan loosely with foil after 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and starting to crack.
- Let the pan cool for 15 minutes on a metal rack.
Looking for more Breakfast Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!
KristinApril 14, 2017 at 9:02 am Ohhhh this sounds awesome. I'm a huge fan of banana bread but I've not thought to make a cinnamon version. We will have to try it! It's such an easy go to with my LIttle Man for breakfast sometimes!
KristineApril 15, 2017 at 9:32 am OH yes, perfect for breakfast :) I hope you make this soon Kristin!
AnnieApril 14, 2017 at 11:54 am This looks delicious! I LOVE banana bread! Even better when it's healthy-ish!
KristineApril 15, 2017 at 9:31 am Yes, it's delicious and healthy... win win!! Thanks Annie :)
Jobie MedinaApril 14, 2017 at 1:40 pm I love the twist of cinnamon. This looks moist and delish. I definitely have to make this.
RoseApril 14, 2017 at 3:00 pm I love cinnamon! Adding it to banana bread is perfect. Rose recently posted...Casual Spring Fashion Inspiration
KristineApril 15, 2017 at 9:31 am Yes! It's such a nice surprise when eating this bread :) Thanks Rose!
Catherine ShortApril 14, 2017 at 3:31 pm I'm going to make your recipe this weekend. I have a lot of overripe bananas on my counter just screaming to be made into bread!
KristineApril 15, 2017 at 9:30 am Awesome! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do Catherine :)
JessApril 14, 2017 at 3:52 pm I love banana bread and whole wheat flour! I will have to try this recipe!
KristineApril 15, 2017 at 9:30 am I hope you try this recipe soon Jess!
Vicki @ Babies to BookwormsApril 14, 2017 at 9:44 pm Yum! This sounds delicious! I love using bananas in baking! Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms recently posted...Talking to Kids about Fear
KristineApril 15, 2017 at 9:30 am I love baking with bananas too Vicki! Thanks so much :)
Corey | The Nostalgia DiariesApril 15, 2017 at 1:37 am i think I have a serious addiction to both cinnamon and bananas so this is the PERFECT recipe!! :)
KristineApril 15, 2017 at 9:29 am Well, there is nothing wrong with that Corey!! Thanks so much!
Jennifer CorterApril 16, 2017 at 8:22 am Yummy! I would absolutely LOVE to try this! Jennifer Corter recently posted...5 Amazing Apps For Managing Chronic Illness
KristineApril 17, 2017 at 9:06 am Thanks Jennifer! I hope you try this soon :)