Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce is the perfect sauce for pasta or pizza. Packed with fresh flavors, freezer friendly with no preservatives! Weight Watcher friendly- 2 SmartPoints!
There’s something special about a big bowl of pasta on a rainy day that puts a smile on my face, especially a bowl that has extra sauce. I crave the taste of tomato sauce at least once a week and try to find ways to use it in recipes. For years I bought jarred marinara sauce and always found myself adding more spices or herbs to the sauce. Finally it dawned on me… I should start making my own! My Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce is the perfect sauce for any Italian inspired dish. Packed with fresh flavors and cooked in twenty minutes. Freezer friendly and all natural with no preservatives! This is a Weight Watcher friendly recipe and half a cup is 2 SmartPoints!
The name says it all… it takes TWENTY MINUTES!!! Not only does this sauce only take twenty minutes to make, it is also easy! Just sauté minced onion and garlic for 5 minutes, then add canned whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil then cover, reduce heat to simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend until your desired smoothness.
Top with fresh basil and that’s it!! If you want to freeze the sauce, let the sauce cool completely, pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Once the cubes are frozen, remove from the tray and transfer to a zip lock bag. When you are ready for the sauce, just remove however many cubes you want from the freezer and you are all set with delicious, zero preservative sauce!
Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce is the perfect sauce for any Italian inspired dish. Packed with fresh flavors and ready to eat in twenty minutes. Freezer friendly and all natural with no preservatives!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ Large White Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 8 Ounces Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 28 Ounces Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper, To taste
- 4 Leaves Fresh Basil
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Dice garlic and set aside.
- Heat large pot over medium low heat and add oil.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend sauce to break up tomatoes and onion for 2 minutes. If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer liquid to blender and blend.
- Blend sauce until desired smoothness.
- Add fresh basil with sauce and serve or freeze.
Nutrition is based on the Weight Watchers Freestyle Program guidelines. Nutrition calculated using Weight Watchers calculator. NUTRITION: Makes 4, 1/2 Cup Per Serving - (2 SmartPoints Per Serving) CALORIES: 49 FAT: 1.8 SATURATED FAT: 0.2 CARBS: 7 FIBER: 1.6 SUGARS: 4.3 PROTEIN: 1.4
Looking for more Italian Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Pin this recipe for later!