Baked Chicken & Cheese Taquitos are shredded chicken & cheese, rolled into a tortilla and baked until crispy. Great as an appetizer! Weight Watchers friendly recipe- 6 SmartPoints!
Tex-Mex is by far my favorite cuisine. What is Tex-Mex, you ask? I grew up in Texas and this is what we ate. It’s a variation of traditional Mexican cuisine with dishes such as nachos, fajitas, and cheese enchiladas, to name a few. One of my favorite Tex-Mex dishes are taquitos. My Baked Chicken & Cheese Taquitos are delicious, easy to make, and perfect to serve as an appetizer or dinner! Shredded chicken & cheese, rolled into a tortilla and baked until crispy. This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe and 3 taquitos are 6 SmartPoints!
I love taquitos and never would have thought I could make these at home, especially a healthy version… until now! By using corn tortillas and baking the taquitos rather than frying, these taquitos are much more healthy than traditional fried ones.
This recipe starts with shredded chicken. For this recipe, I make my Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken. After the chicken has been shredded, it’s time to get rolling! Not only do these taquitos have shredded chicken inside, by there is also shredded Monterey jack cheese. I love Monterey jack cheese and this cheese adds a nice creamy bite to the taquito.
To assemble the taquitos, lay a tortilla onto your left hand and add 1 tablespoon cheese.
Add 2 tablespoons chicken on top of the cheese.
Roll up the tortilla tight and secure with a toothpick.
Repeat the above steps 20 times. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay all the taquitos flat onto the sheet. Spray the top of the taquitos with cooking spray.
Bake the taquitos at 400° for 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy. These taquitos bake to crispy perfection, you would have no idea they weren’t fried! Cheesy, packed with delicious shredded chicken, and easy to make.
I like to serve my taquitos with my Roasted Tomatillo Salsa. This salsa is the perfect dip for these taquitos. Fresh, easy to make!
To make these extra fancy, drizzle some fat free sour cream on top with a sprinkle of fat free feta cheese and cilantro.
These taquitos are delicious, easy to make, and perfect to serve as an appetizer or dinner! Shredded chicken mixed with tomatillo salsa and cheese, rolled into a tortilla and baked until crispy. Eat a few as an appetizer, or make it a dinner! 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for 3 taquitos!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Baked Chicken & Cheese Taquitos
- 2 ½ Cups Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken (Recipe Link in Notes Section)
- 20 Corn Tortillas (I use Mission Ultra Thin Tortillas)
- 1 Cup Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Serve with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (Recipe Link in Notes Section)
- Make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken according to recipe instructions. (Recipe Link in Notes Section)
- Make Roasted Tomatillo Salsa according to recipe instructions. (Recipe Link in Notes Section)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray both sides of tortillas with nonfat cooking spray and place in a ziplock bag. Microwave 40 seconds. This will help the tortillas be flexible for stuffing.
- Lay tortilla in one hand and add 1 tablespoon cheese then 2 tablespoons of chicken into the center of the tortilla. Roll tortilla up tight and secure with 1 toothpick in the center closing the seal of the tortilla.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lay taquitos on baking sheet in even layer.
- Spray tops of taquitos with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Rotate baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes until taquitos are golden and crispy.
Looking for more Mexican Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!