Broccoli Cauliflower Chowder is a thick and hearty soup for a cold day. Creamy soup and fresh veggies make the perfect bowl of comfort food. Weight Watcher friendly-5 SmartPoints!
My Broccoli Cauliflower Chowder is the perfect healthy and hearty soup for a cold day. Thick, creamy soup with fresh veggies make the perfect bowl of comfort food. The best thing about this soup is that it is made and ready to eat in less than ONE HOUR! To start, chop onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Peel potatoes and chop into ½ inch cubes. Next chop the cauliflower into florets. Heat a large pot over medium heat and sauté onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft.
To make a roux, just add a little bit of flour and whisk into the veggies. Slowly keep adding the flour, while whisking at the same time, until all the flour has been added to the pot. If needed, add a bit of vegetable broth to help break up the clumps.
Next add broth and milk slowly whisking to break up the clumps until all the liquid has been added to the pot. Add the spices and let the liquid thicken, for about 5 minutes.
Add the chopped broccoli, cauliflower, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes.
When the veggies are fork tender, mash with a potato masher until you reach your desired consistency. I like my chowder with chunky bits of vegetables, but it’s up to you!
This chowder is the perfect healthy and hearty soup for a cold day. Thick and creamy with fresh veggies make the perfect bowl of comfort food. Freezer friendly and made in less than 1 hour! I like to serve my soup with a sprinkle of reduced fat Colby jack cheese and parsley.
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Broccoli Cauliflower Chowder
- 1/2 Large White Onion,
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Small Russet Potatoes
- 1 Medium Head Cauliflower
- 2 Small Heads Broccoli
- 4 Green Onion Stalks
- 2 Tablespoons Light Butter
- ¼ Cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup 2% Milk
- ½ Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Pepper, To taste
- Reduced Fat Colby Jack Cheese, For garnish
- Parsley, For garnish
- Chop white onion, carrot, celery, and set aside.
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and chop into ½ inch cubes. Set aside.
- Remove leaves from cauliflower and chop into florets. Set aside.
- Cut broccoli florets and a few of the stems. Set aside.
- Chop green onion and set aside.
- In Dutch oven or large pot, heat over medium heat and add butter.
- Add diced onion, carrot, celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add flour slowly and whisk into vegetables, Cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently. Add a few tablespoons of vegetable broth if needed to help break up the clumps.
- Add vegetable broth and milk then whisk until smooth.
- Add pepper, salt, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper then mix well. Let the roux sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, and green onion then bring to a boil. Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes until all vegetables are fork tender.
- Smash veggies with large wooden smooth to break up a bit until you reach desired consistency.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and parsley.
Looking for more Soup and Stew Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe: