Squash & Vegetable Curry is a hearty dish packed with delicious Indian spices and vegetables. Roasted butternut squash, chickpeas, baby spinach, and cauliflower coated in a decadent tomato curry sauce. This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe!
There is something just so comforting about a big bowl of vegetables in a delicious sauce. One of my favorite dishes to make when I’m in dire need of vegetables is curry. My Squash & Vegetable Curry is a hearty dish packed with delicious Indian spices and vegetables. Roasted butternut squash, chickpeas, baby spinach, and cauliflower coated in a decadent tomato curry sauce. This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe and two cups is 3 SmartPoints.
Vegetable curry is one of my go-to dishes to make, especially in the fall and winter months. Butternut squash is by far my favorite fall/winter vegetable so I’m always looking for recipes to make with this squash. What I love about this vegetable is not only the nutritional value, but it’s a super versatile vegetable. Just like cauliflower, you can use butternut squash in place of so many dishes that call for potatoes. Butternut squash also takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with!
This vegetable curry is packed with tons of veggies and cooked in a delicious, rich tomato curry sauce. To start, peel butternut squash, remove the seeds, and dice into small pieces (about ½ inch cubes). If you are lucky enough to find pre-diced butternut squash at your local grocery store, I’m super jealous of you! You can use that instead of peeling your own. Next, remove the stems and leaves from a medium size cauliflower then cut into small florets. Dice onion and garlic then get to cooking!
Heat a large pot over medium heat and sauté onion for 5 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add tomato paste, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and ground coriander. Mix and let the spices cook for a few minutes. Cooking the spices really helps to release their flavor! Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth.
Add butternut squash and cauliflower to the pot and mix well. Bring to a bowl and then let simmer for 30 minutes until the squash is fork tender. Once the squash is tender, add chickpeas, baby spinach, and coconut milk. Mix well and let cook for another 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
Remove from heat, then serve over brown rice and garnish with cilantro and fresh lime juice.
A hearty dish packed with delicious Indian spices and vegetables. Roasted butternut squash, chickpeas, baby spinach, and cauliflower coated in a decadent tomato curry sauce. Great for meatless Monday and perfect for a beginner to Indian food. Not spicy, yet full of flavor. Take this dish up a notch and serve with my Whole Wheat Skillet Naan! Only 64 calories and 3 Weight Watchers SmartPoints!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Squash & Vegetable Curry
- 3 Cups Diced Butternut Squash
- 1 Medium Head Cauliflower
- ½ Medium White Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Canned Diced Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Canned Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 ½ Cups Canned Chickpeas
- 5 Ounces Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 Cup Canned Light Coconut Milk
- Cilantro, For garnish
- Fresh Lime Juice, For garnish
- Serve with brown rice
- Peel butternut squash, remove the seeds, and dice into ½ inch cubes. If you can find pre-diced butternut squash, use that!
- Remove stems from cauliflower and cut into small florets. Set aside.
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Dice garlic and set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil.
- To the pot, add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and ground coriander. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, vegetable broth, and canned tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add butternut squash and cauliflower.
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and let cook for 30 minutes, until squash is fork tender.
- Add canned chickpeas, baby spinach, coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve over brown rice and garnish with cilantro and fresh lime juice.
Looking for more Indian Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!