Skillet Pizza Pasta is a delicious and hearty pasta dish inspired by pepperoni pizza. Seasoned ground beef with pasta, marinara sauce, topped with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Weight Watchers friendly recipe- 8 SmartPoints!
I love skillet and one-pot dinners. Who wants to clean a bunch of dishes after dinner… not me! One of my favorite quick and easy one-pot dinners is my Skillet Pizza Pasta. Seasoned lean ground beef mixed with penne pasta, delicious marinara sauce, Italian seasonings, topped with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. What’s not to love?! This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe and each serving is 8 SmartPoints!
I love pizza… and so does my husband. If you ask him, pizza would be his last meal. While we occasional splurge and order out for pizza, I’m always looking for ways to make healthy pizza inspired dishes at home. A while back, I had a big batch of my Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce so I knew it was pizza making time! I wanted to make a pasta dish that was quick to make and had the flavors of pizza… and that’s how my Skillet Pizza Pasta was born!
I wanted to make a skillet type dinner that used only one pot to avoid a ton of clean up. Raise your hand if you like to do dishes after cooking…. NOT ME. Probably the worst chore ever! Since I had a batch of my marinara sauce already made, all I needed to do was cook the pasta and use just one skillet for the dinner. I use gluten free pasta in this dish to change things up from my usual pasta, which is whole wheat. Gluten free penne pasta has the same texture as whole wheat, but if you prefer whole wheat, use that instead!
This recipe is super easy to make and your family will love it! First, make the Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce. I like to make this on Sunday and have a batch ready to go during the week. Double the recipe and freeze the rest!
Make the pasta according to the package instructions. In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add ground beef, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and cook for 10 minutes, breaking the pieces up, until completely cooked.
Add marinara sauce, cooked pasta, and red pepper flakes to skillet. Mix well then spread into an even layer.
Sprinkle with cheese and pepperoni. Bake in the oven at 425° for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil.
Skillet Pizza Pasta is a delicious and hearty pasta dish inspired by pepperoni pizza. Seasoned lean ground beef mixed with penne pasta, delicious marinara sauce, Italian seasonings, topped with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. A family favorite at my house! Ready in 30 minutes and guaranteed to make those hungry bellies happy! 9 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving.
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Watch this 60 second video to learn how to make Skillet Pizza Pasta:
Skillet Pizza Pasta
- 8 Ounces Gluten Free Penne Pasta, (Or Any Penne Pasta)
- 1 Pound 96% Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- ½ Small White Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 12 Slices Uncured Pepperoni, (I use Hormel Natural Choice Uncured Pepperoni)
- 2 Cups Twenty Minute Marinara, (Recipe link in notes section)
- 1 Cup Reduced Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Basil, For garnish
- Make Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce according to recipe instructions.
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Heat large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Add onion and sauté for 7 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and cook for 10 minutes, breaking pieces up, until meat is fully cooked.
- Add pasta, red pepper flakes, and marinara sauce to skillet. Mix until well combined and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Top with pepperoni.
- Bake for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
If you prefer to use whole wheat pasta, it has the same Weight Watchers SmartPoints as gluten free pasta. **Use 98% lean ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef and the SmartPoints will be 6 per serving! Nutrition is based on the Weight Watchers Freestyle Program guidelines. Nutrition calculated using Weight Watchers calculator. NUTRITION: Serves 6- (8 SmartPoints Per Serving) CALORIES: 306 FAT: 9.2 SATURATED FAT: 3.8 CARBS: 30.1 FIBER: 0.7 SUGARS: 0 PROTEIN: 24.8
Looking for more Italian Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Pin this recipe for later!