Blackened Catfish is homemade blackened seasonings and catfish cooked in cast-iron skillet. It’s sure to be a crowd pleaser. Weight Watcher friendly recipe- 1 SmartPoint!
I have a little secret, I LOVE fried catfish. Growing up in the south, fried catfish is basically on the menu at every seafood restaurant. Something about the crispy coating and the white fluffy inside makes me happy. Fried food is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, but it comes with a hefty price since it’s fried. I decided it was time to take my beloved catfish and give it a new spin. My Blackened Catfish is juicy, flavorful and only 1 SmartPoints per serving.
You can buy blackening seasoning OR you can make your own! I have way too many spices to count so I typically make my own. You could easily make the seasoning in bulk so that you have it on hand for any other recipe. The blackened seasons would be so good with chicken, shrimp, scallops…. YUM! Every time I make this recipe, I immediately think of Cajun food and it takes me back to being in New Orleans. I love Cajun food and at almost every restaurant in New Orleans they have blackened shrimp or fish.
I definitely recommend cooking the catfish first in a cast iron skillet. If you don’t have one, get one! You can basically use it for cooking anything. I love mine! This is a great meal for any day of the week; it’s healthy and easy to make! Perfect when you are craving creole or Cajun food! Weight Watchers friendly recipe and only 1 SmartPoint per serving!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
- 4 Catfish Fillets
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Sprays of Light Butter Spray
- Juice of Half a Lemon
Homemade Blackening Seasoning:
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika (Or Use Regular Paprika)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (Use ¼ teaspoon to make less spicy)
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning (Omit for less spicy)
- Combine all spices for blackening season. Rub spice mix into each side of catfish filet.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a cast iron skillet and heat skillet on medium-high heat.
- Cook each side of seasoned catfish in the skillet for 2 minutes on each side.
- Spray baking dish with non-fat cooking spray and transfer the catfish to a baking dish. Spray each side of the catfish with light butter spray.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Spritz catfish with fresh lemon juice.
Looking for more Cajun Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe: