Chicken & Veggie Green Curry Soup is chicken with potatoes, broccoli, bamboo shoots cooked in creamy, curry broth & served over rice. Weight Watchers friendly recipe- 5 SmartPoints!
One pot meals are on my weekly meal plan rotation. They are such a time saver and allow me to be super creative with the ingredients I add to the dish. One pot meals also allow me to feed my husband and me for several days, which is awesome! My Chicken & Veggie Green Curry Soup is Asian comfort food in a bowl! Delicious chicken breast with potatoes, broccoli, bamboo shoots cooked in a creamy, curry broth and served over rice. This is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe and each serving is 5 SmartPoints.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s a dish you can eat year round. Curry is one of those things that I crave a lot… not just when it’s cold outside. Curry dishes can be Indian or Asian. I crave these types of cuisines often so curry is kind of my go to dish when I am craving those flavors but don’t want to spend money going out to eat. Since I crave curry often, I always have curry powder and curry paste on hand.
For Asian curry, I use jarred curry paste, which can be found in the International/Asian section of the grocery store. These jarred curry pastes are so convenient because you can just leave it in your refrigerator after you open the jar. Usually, you only need a few teaspoons of the paste when cooking, so it’s great that these paste will stay fresh in the refrigerator!
This recipe is basically a curry, I just added a bit more liquid to make it soup. Not only is this recipe easy to follow, it’s a one pot meal so that means LESS MESS TO CLEAN!! This dish is a regular at my house because I can make the soup ahead of time, then pull it out of the refrigerator to heat up when I’m ready to eat. This recipe also makes a lot so it will feed me for days… win win recipe right here y’all!! If I want to make this vegetarian, I just sub oven roasted tofu for the chicken!
To a Dutch oven or large pot, add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add curry paste, mix to coat the vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
Add sliced chicken breast and cook for about 15 minutes.
Next, add potatoes, brown sugar, stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, bamboo shoots, and broccoli. Reduce heat to simmer, cover partially and cook for about 10 minutes.
Add in diced tomato and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add fresh lime juice, and stir.
Asian comfort food in a bowl! Delicious chicken breast with potatoes, broccoli, bamboo shoots cooked in a creamy, curry broth and served over rice. I like to serve my curry soup with fresh cilantro and lime wedges. This curry is not too spicy, so it would be perfect for a beginner to curry!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Chicken & Veggie Green Curry Soup
- ½ Medium Red Onion
- 1 Jalapeño, (Remove seeds to make less spicy)
- 2 Small Russet Potatoes
- 1 ½ Pounds Chicken Breast
- ½ Cup Canned Bamboo Shoots
- 1 Medium Head Broccoli
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 3 Teaspoons Green Curry Paste, (I use Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 1 ½ Cup Canned Light Coconut Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Lime Juice
- Cilantro, For Garnish (Optional)
- Lime Wedges, For Garnish (Optional)
- 1 ½ Cups Cooked Brown Rice
- Thinly slice onion and set aside.
- Mince jalapeno and garlic and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into ½ inch cubes and set aside.
- Slice chicken into ½ inch slices and set aside.
- Drain bamboo shoots and set aside.
- Cut broccoli into florets and set aside.
- Dice tomato and set aside.
- In Dutch oven or large pot, add one teaspoon olive oil and sauté onions for 5 minutes. Season with one teaspoon salt.
- Add garlic and jalapeño sauté one minute.
- Add curry paste, mix to coat vegetables, and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, brown sugar, vegetable stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, bamboo shoots, and broccoli.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover partially and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add in diced tomato and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add fresh lime juice, and stir.
- Garnish each bowl with lime wedges and cilantro.
- Serve with ¼ cup brown rice per serving.
Looking for more Asian Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!