Easy Pumpkin Hand Puffs are an easy and delicious healthy alternative to pumpkin pie. Flaky, full of pumpkin flavors, and low fat! Weight Watchers friendly recipe- 6 SmartPoints!
Pumpkin… it’s all the rage right now. And for good reason! It’s fall and that means it’s time to eat pumpkin. My all time favorite pumpkin dish is good ole’ pumpkin pie. Traditional pumpkin pie can be rather unhealthy so my recent mission was to find a healthy alternative. My Easy Pumpkin Hand Puffs are the perfect guilt free dessert for pumpkin season. These puffy, delicious babies are SUPER easy to make and low fat. This is a Weight Watcher friendly recipe and each puff is 6 SmartPoints.
To make pumpkin puree, cut the pumpkin top off, scoop out all the seeds, slice the pumpkin into four pieces, then roast the pumpkin in the oven for 45 minutes. Once the pumpkin is roasted, gently peel off the outside and dump the inside into a food processor and puree. For step by step pictures, I use one of my favorite food bloggers help: The Pioneer Woman. Here’s her post. She makes everything look easy!
You can absolutely use canned puree; just make sure you buy pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling! The great thing about pumpkin puree is that it’s healthy and it only takes a little bit of sugar and spice to make it taste amazing. Weight Watchers friendly and delicious!
For Easy Pumpkin Hand Puffs, I used frozen Puff Pastry sheets. Puff Pastry sheets are a godsend! They are sold frozen, so once they are thawed, just lay them on parchment paper and cut into 9 squares.
To make the pumpkin mixture, mix together pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, sugar, vanilla, and brown sugar. Scoop about 2 teaspoons of the mix into the middle of each square. Brush the outside with egg wash, fold the square over to make a triangle, then press and seal the opening with a fork. Easy peasy!
I made a simple glaze for the top with powdered sugar and milk. It really made a difference! Once you try these, I guarantee you will fall in love. Easy to make, husband approved, and a game changer for me. a healthy dessert that tastes like fall :)!
The perfect dessert when you are craving pumpkin pie but don’t want all the fuss. These hand puffs are flaky, full of delicious pumpkin flavors, and low fat. These are great healthy dessert idea for the holidays, or anytime! I’m certain that I’ll be making these for Thanksgiving this year. Weight Watchers friendly recipe and 6 SmartPoints for one puff!
I hope you enjoy these *puffy* bites of flavor!
Easy Pumpkin Hand Puffs
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry, (I use Pepperidge Farm)
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ Teaspoon White Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon 2% Milk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Beat egg in small bowl and set aside.
- Mix pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, vanilla, and brown sugar until smooth.
- Place puff pastry on parchment paper or clean surface.
- Cut pastry sheet into 9 squares.
- Place one tablespoon of pumpkin mix in the middle of each square half.
- Brush edges of pastry with beaten egg.
- Fold over from corner to corner to form a triangle shape.
- Seal edges with fork.
- Cut three small incisions into the thickest part of hand puff to allow for steam to release.
- Brush tops of puffs with remaining egg wash (there will be a lot off egg wash left over).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While hand pies are baking, mix together powdered sugar and milk.
- Once hand pies are golden brown, remove from oven and drizzle glaze on top with a spoon.
- Let puffs cool on wire baking rack.
Serves 9- (6 SmartPoints Per Serving) CALORIES: 139 FAT: 6.7 SATURATED FAT: 3.4 CARBS: 18.6 FIBER: 0.7 SUGARS: 8.5 PROTEIN: 2.1
Looking for more Dessert Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!