Pulled Pork Mexican Pizza is the perfect pizza to make when you’re craving tacos and pizza at the same time! Weight Watchers friendly recipe- 9 SmartPoints!
Ahhh pizza! My husband’s ALL time favorite food. He swears that pizza would be his last meal if he had to choose! If it were up to him, we’d order pizza at least once a week. We do sometimes order pizza, but I prefer to make my own. Pizza is one of those meals that is easy to whip up and a great way to be super creative with food. Usually when I make pizza, I have random ingredients in the fridge that somehow totally go together when added on top of crunchy crust and topped with cheese. My Pulled Pork Mexican Pizza is like a burrito or taco made into a pizza! Unique and delicious! This is a Weight Watcher friendly recipe and each slice is 9 SmartPoints.
A while back I made Slow Cooker Mexican Spiced Pulled Pork and wanted to find a really unique way to incorporate pork into pizza. Back in Texas, my husband and I LOVED our local pizza place. They had like 40+ different kinds of specialty pizzas with different sauces, like hummus, black bean, and ricotta cream sauce. Actually, the last meal we had before we left Texas was pizza from this place. Ahh, memories. Anyways, one of my favorite pizzas at this place was a Mexican style pizza with black beans and pulled pork. I love this specific pizza so much I knew I needed to try and recreate this pizza, but in my own “healthified” way of course.
So how do I make a delicious pizza like this healthy?? Whole wheat pizza crust! While you could totally make your own whole wheat pizza crust (it’s a little labor intensive), I prefer to just buy the pre-made dough. I actually like to have one on hand at all times just in case a Friday night pizza movie night is in order. Instead of traditional marinara sauce, I use refried black beans for this pizza. To kick it up a notch, I add spices and Cholula to the black beans. I also add butternut squash, jalapenos, red onion, and cheese to the pizza. You might be thinking that butternut squash sounds a bit odd for pizza, but it totally works y’all!
Usually when I buy a butternut squash, I try to use it in almost every recipe I make that week. Peeling butternut squash takes effort so I like to make the most of my efforts. If you don’t know how to peel a butternut squash, check out this link. While it can be a pain to do, butternut squash is SO good and totally worth it the effort to peel and dice up this delicious veggie. Since I love meal prep so much, on Sundays I will peel the squash, dice it up, and roast it in the oven so that I have roasted squash on hand throughout the week.
This pizza was easy peasy to make! This recipe calls for Slow Cooker Mexican Spiced Pulled Pork, so be sure to plan ahead and make that recipe first. If you are in a time crunch, use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken you can buy at your local grocery store and add Mexican spices to the chicken (chili pepper, cumin, garlic powder, paprika). I recommend cooking the pizza crust in the oven for about 9 minutes BEFORE adding the toppings. When the pizza is baking, sauté the onions and jalapenos and cook the refried beans in a pot. The butternut squash and pulled pork are already cooked so once the pizza crust is done in the oven, it’s time to top the pizza!
The first layer is black beans, then Colby jack cheese, next is the sautéed onions and jalapeno, then pulled pork and butternut squash, and last is the feta cheese!
The perfect pizza to make when you’re craving tacos and pizza at the same time. Refried black beans, spiced pulled pork, and cheese make for a great combination. Great for a quick meal and ready in under an hour!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Pulled Pork Mexican Pizza
- 1 Cup Slow Cooker Mexican Spiced Pulled Pork, (Recipe link in notes section)
- ¾ Cup Butternut Squash
- ½ Small Red Onion
- ½ Jalapeno, (Remove seeds to make less spicy)
- 1 Cup Canned Refried Black Beans
- ½ Tablespoon Cumin
- ½ Tablespoon Chili Powder
- ½ Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons Hot Sauce, (I use Cholula)
- 14 Ounces Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough or Pre-Made Whole Wheat Pizza Crush
- ½ Cup Reduced Fat Colby Jack Cheese
- ¼ Cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
- ¼ Cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, Chopped, For garnish
- Make Slow Cooker Mexican Spiced Pulled Pork according to recipe.
- Pre-heat oven to 450°.
- Peel butternut squash and dice into small bite size cubes.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray, spread butternut squash on baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spray top of butternut squash with cooking spray.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Thinly slice red onion and jalapeno. Set aside.
- Spray small skillet with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, sauté onion and jalapeno for 5 minutes.
- Chop cilantro and set aside.
- Place beans into a small pot then add cumin, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, and hot sauce.
- Heat black beans over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Lay pizza crust on pizza pan.
- Bake in the oven for 9 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven.
- Spread black beans in even layer over dough.
- Add Colby Jack Cheese.
- Spread onions and jalapenos over cheese layer.
- Spread pulled pork, butternut squash, cilantro, and feta cheese evenly over pizza.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with cilantro for garnish.
Nutrition is based on the Weight Watchers Freestyle Program guidelines. Nutrition calculated using Weight Watchers calculator. NUTRITION: Serves 6, 1 Slice Per Serving- (9 SmartPoints Per Serving) CALORIES: 289 FAT: 11.8 SATURATED FAT: 4.5 CARBS: 33.5 FIBER: 6 SUGARS: 3 PROTEIN: 16.1
Looking for more Mexican Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!