Lasagna Stuffed Chicken is everything you love about lasagna without the guilt! Filled with cheese & topped with marinara sauce. Weight Watchers friendly- 2 SmartPoints!
Lasagna… Noodles, sauce, meat (sometimes), and tons of cheese. Yes please! I do not make lasagna that often mostly because I’d rather eat it at an Italian restaurant and have someone else make it. Y’all know making lasagna is time consuming and a labor of love! Also, lasagna can be rather high carb and full of fat. A while back, I was thinking about lasagna and how could I make a low carb version. I was watching Food Network (my Saturday morning ritual) and saw a recipe for stuffed chicken. Then it dawned on me… what if I stuff the lasagna filling inside a chicken breast and cover it with marinara sauce and cheese?! So I did it…. And it was glorious! Lasagna Stuffed Chicken is the low carb cousin of traditional lasagna! This is a Weight Watcher friendly recipe and it’s 2 SmartPoints per chicken breast.
As I’ve mentioned before, I love all things stuffed! I don’t really know why I love stuffed foods so much, other than the fact that usually when I made a meal that is “stuffed” it involves cheese. I’ve made and eaten dozens of stuffed chicken recipes. But this chicken is no ordinary stuffed chicken breast… The stuffing is made with low fat ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasonings. Literally the ingredients of lasagna! I stuffed the chicken a bit different than you are probably used to seeing.
While watching the same Food Network show, I saw an interesting stuffing technique that I had to try. They put a knife into the thick side of the chicken, twisted the knife around to make a pocket, and then piped in the stuffing ingredients into the chicken. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? What a great idea! So thank you once again Food Network for teaching me a new trick!
Lay the chicken breast flat on parchment paper and in the thickest part of the chicken, gently push a knife through the chicken about ¾ down. I recommend using a serrated knife; my favorite FAVORITE knifes are from Cuisinart. You do not want to cut the chicken in half, you are just putting a knife through the middle of the chicken breast to create a “pocket”.
Carefully twist the knife and move it slowly to the right then to the left, creating a pocket.
Gently pull the knife almost out of the chicken and where the initial incision is, cut just a little more to create a larger whole.
Mix the stuffing ingredients and pour ingredients into a zip lock bag. At the bottom corner of the bag, cut a tiny piece off.
Hold the chicken breast in your left hand and the zip lock bag in the right hand, squeeze the stuffing ingredients into the chicken breast.
For this recipe I made my Twenty Minute Marinara Sauce (you can totally use pre-made sauce for this if you are strapped for time or have a jar in your pantry!). Once the marinara sauce is heated, ladle a layer of the sauce onto the bottom of a casserole dish; this helps keep the chicken juicy and moist while baking. Next lay the chicken breast onto the layer of sauce, pour the rest of the sauce, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the CHEESE!!
Serve with zucchini noodles and you have yourself low-carb STUFFED LASAGNA CHICKEN!! So there it is, a new way to stuff chicken!
I hope you enjoy these bites of flavor!
Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
- 1/2 Cup Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Chicken Breast
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese
20 Minute Marinara Sauce:
- 28 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Make 20 Minute Marinara Sauce (See Instructions Below)
- Preheat 450°.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Pat chicken breast dry and lay flat on parchment paper.
- To stuff the breast, create a pocket in the chicken breast.
- Place hand on top of the chicken and using a knife, make an incision at the top side of the chicken breast where the chicken is the fattest.
- Gently push knife down inside the chicken about ¾ through the chicken.
- Turn the knife a few times to create a pocket inside the chicken.
- In a zip lock bag, add cheese mixture and cut a small hole at the bottom corn of the bag.
- Pipe in the cheese mixture from the zip lock bag into the incision of the chicken until chicken is fully stuffed.
- Repeat this for each chicken breast.
- Spray 9x11 casserole dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Ladle a layer on marinara sauce in dish.
- Add stuffed chicken to casserole dish and pour marinara sauce over chicken breast.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of chicken and bake for additional 5 minutes.
To Make 20 Minute Marinara Sauce:
- Heat pot over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and salt & pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
Looking for more Italian Inspired Recipes? Click here to find all the delicious-ness!
Helpful kitchen tools to make this recipe:
Pin this recipe for later!